Liberia Broadcasting System

Fire renders several homeless in Fiamah

Jos Garneo Cephas/Joseph T. Koon
A scene from the fire
A scene from the fire

(, 2015)- Several residents of Central Fiamah in the Sinkor Community narrowly escaped their untimely demise when fire gutted a cluster of buildings in the area.

The fire started at 10:50pm Wednesday night, January 21, 2015.

An investigation revealed that an unidentified male victim, sustained minor wound when he bravely rescued a four- year old baby girl, Martina Tarr, reportedly abandoned in the fire.

The victim is currently seeking medical attention at the John F. Kennedy Referral Hospital in Monrovia.

Mrs. Mamie Tarr, one of the fire victims, is a mother of six including survivor Martina Tarr.

She said: “I am grateful to the male rescuer for saving my daughter’s life.”

“My little daughter was sleeping when people began raising alarm that our house was on fire.”  Mrs. Tarr said in tears.

She told that the fire destroyed all their properties worth several thousand of Liberian dollars, leaving more than 40 tenants living in two of the buildings homeless.

Eyewitnesses told our reporter that the fire rendered about 90 people, including women and children hopeless and in distress, thereby spending the night in street corners.

Though the cause of the fire could not be established, the Liberia National Fire Service swiftly intervened and brought the situation under control.

At the fire scene, Fire Service Commander, Alex Smith, said: “We suspect electrical shock as the cause of the fire, but further investigation to ascertain the damages being done so far.”

Meanwhile, the fire victims are appealing to Government, NGOs, the Community and other charitable organizations, to assist them rebuild their lives.


Copyright 2012 All Rights Reserved.