International News

Breaking News

Boko Haram on the margin of defeat-Prez Jonathan

from BBC
President Goodluck Jonathan
President Goodluck Jonathan

Nigeria’s President, Goodluck Jonathan, says the tide has “definitely turned” against the militant Islamist group, Boko Haram, as regional forces recapture territories.

President Jonathan’s comments came hours after Boko Haram militants were blamed for killing 27 people in bombing in two commercial centers in the north Tuesday, February 24, 2015.

Mr. Jonathan said Boko Haram had hit “soft targets,” because of the setbacks it had suffered in the battle.
Regional forces have reportedly recaptured eight major towns in recent weeks.

The BBC Reporter in the Nigerian Capital, Abuja, said Mr. Jonathan’s comments appear to have some credence, even if he made similar remarks last year.

Correspondent said the Nigerian military, backed by regional troops, is now taking the war to Boko Haram, rather than fleeing the battlefield.

However, at least eight major towns are still being held by the Islamist militants.

Many residents fear the militants will regroup and launch a new offensive to regain territories, he added. Suicide bombers blew themselves up at crowded bus stations in Kano and Potiskum.

Kano and Potiskum are the most popular city in northern Nigeria and the main commercial town in north-eastern Yobe State, respectively.

Police and hospital sources said at least 10 civilians were killed in Kano and 17 others killed in Potiskum, respectively.

 


Copyright 2012 Mylbsonline.com All Rights Reserved.