Sports

Breaking News

FIFA official admits to corruption charges

from BBC

(elbcradio.com/June 5, 2015)-Former top FIFA official, Chuck Blazer, has admitted to corruption charges leveled against him by US prosecutors.

Mr. Blazer said he and others on the FIFA’s Executive Committee agreed to accept bribes to select South Africa as 2010 World Cup host.

According to the BBC, the investigation also showed that he also helped to arrange bribes over the 1998 event.
The former FIFA official’s admission comes in a nearly released transcript from a 2013 US hearing in which he pleads guilty to 10-count charges.

The US has launched a wide-range criminal case that engulfed FIFA and led its President, Sepp Blatter, to resign recently.

US prosecutors last week indicted 14 people, including seven top FIFA executives, on charges of bribery, racketeering and money laundering.
Four others, including Mr. Blazer, had already been charged.

The US Justice Department alleges they accepted bribes and kickbacks estimated at more than US$150-million over 24-year period.

At the same time, an elite police unit in South Africa is expected to launch preliminary inquiry into allegations that officials paid bribes to FIFA executives to help secure the 2010 World Cup.

The decision comes after an opposition party handed documents to the Hawks unit about the bribery claims.
South African officials have, however, continuously denied that bribes were paid to help secure the 2010 World Cup.

An indictment alleges that South Africa paid US$10-million bribe to FIFA officials to secure the bid, ahead of Morocco, the BBC also said.      

 

 


Copyright 2012 Mylbsonline.com All Rights Reserved.