General News

Breaking News

In alleged mercenary trial, state witness admits

By Fallah Matthews

(mylbsonline.com/Liberia)-Criminal Court “D” in Monrovia has begun the prosecution of 19 Liberians accused of perpetrating mercenary activities in neighboring Cote d’Ivoire in 2011.

In his testimony Monday, July 15, 2013 at Criminal Court “D”, one of the accused and first state witnesses, Prince Barclay, told the court: “ I am was among some of the accused who carried out the mercenary activities in Cote d’Ivoire in 2011.”

“During the attack in the Cote d’Ivoire, we got information about the arrival of the French troops to dislodge us. So, we were left with no option but to retreat to Liberia.” Prince said.

He said while retreating to Liberia, they left their weapons at the river bank on the Ivorian side on the border.

According to Prince, eleven of their men were arrested in Grand Gedeh County by the police, including one Timaya and taken to the Police  Headquarters in Monrovia, where they were investigated and charged with multiple criminal offenses and forward to court for prosecution.

“Another batch of Liberian mercenaries, including the 19 Liberians currently being tried, attacked the Cote d’Ivoire and killed seven UN peace-keepers in an ambush.” Witness Prince said.

“We were hired for 30 million CFA to carry out the military mission in the Cote d’Ivoire through one Bobby Sepay who was previously arrested by the police, but he was subsequently released at the discretion of the police.” Prince added.

 


Copyright 2012 Mylbsonline.com All Rights Reserved.