International News

Breaking News

Kenyan security forces comb Nairobi Shopping Center

From BBC
Kenyan security forces on the standby
Kenyan security forces on the standby

(mylbsonline.com/Liberia/Sept. 25, 2013)-Kenyan security forces are combing the Nairobi shopping centre to secure the site.

The shopping center had been attacked by suspected al-Shabab militants. The BBC says an explosion and bursts of gunfire were heard coming from the Westgate complex Tuesday morning.

The explosion and out burst of gunfire took place amid growing speculations that the operation was nearing its end.

At least 68 people have been killed and more than 170 injured. Meanwhile, Kenya’s Foreign Minister said “two or three” Americans and a British woman were among the attackers.

Amina Mohamed said the Americans were 18 or 19 years old, of Somali or Arab origin, and lived “in Minnesota and one other place.”

She said the Briton was a woman who had “done this many times before.”

Ms. Mohamed appeared to contradict earlier comments from Kenya’s Interior Minister, who suggested that all the attackers were men, though some may have been dressed as women.

Her remarks have fuelled media speculations about the possible involvement of Samantha Lewthwaite, the widow of one of the men.

The unidentified man is being accused of carrying out the London transport system’s attack in July, 2005. The Somali Islamist, al-Shabab Movement, said it carried out the attack in retaliation to Kenya’s military operations in Somalia.

British officials said they would not be drawn on the identity of the attackers while investigations are continuing. The Kenyan Red Cross has told the BBC that 51 people remain unaccounted for.

 


Copyright 2012 Mylbsonline.com All Rights Reserved.